WHAT began four years ago in Kuala Lumpur with a gathering of fans with some live speakers has evolved into one of the foremost events under the TEDx banner.
Independently run and organised, the mission of a TEDx event is simple: to stimulate dialogue and spark connections within the community through TED-like experiences at a local level.
With its grassroots approach, the TEDxKL platform is intended for anyone seeking to be empowered and inspired by ideas.
TED is a non-profit organisation that started as a four-day conference in California, 28 years ago asking the world's leading thinkers and doers to give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. These talks are then made available free, at TED.com.
As of 2012, more than 3,200 TEDx events have taken place in 800 cities and 126 countries around the world.
With a mission to highlight "ideas worth spreading," this year's line-up of speakers features entrepreneur and philanthropist Derek Sivers, nanotechnology expert Dr Ille Gebershuber and Sinar Project founder Khairil Yusof, among others.
Exclusive to readers of The Star, we have eight tickets to give away to this year's TEDxKL!
To stand a chance to win two passes to the event, taking place on Saturday, July 14 at the Temple of Fine Arts in Brickfields, all you have to do is follow the instructions below:
In 30 words or less, tell us what the word "Inspiration" means to you.
Send it to us via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Taste of TED", along with the following contact details:
· Your full name (as per MyKad)
· MyKad number
· Contact Number
Contest submission period ends on Monday, July 2 and winners will be announced on Friday, July 6.
Winners will also receive an e-mail with further instructions on how they can collect their passes.
Terms & Conditions
· You must provide valid and complete personal information, i.e. full name, MyKad number, e-mail address and handphone number;
· The staff of Star Publications (M) Bhd and immediate families are not allowed to participate;
· The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be entertained;
· The winner will be notified by e-mail or phone after the judging.
· Privacy: The information submitted by you during the registration process or otherwise when participating in the Contest may include your e-mail address, ID number and other personal information ("Personal Information").
· Except as provided elsewhere in these Terms & Conditions, your personal information will only be used by the Organiser in accordance with applicable data protection laws and regulations.
· By providing your details for participation in the contest, you have expressly consented to the collection, collation, use and/or disclosure of all the provided data by Star Publications (M) Berhad for the purpose of "Taste of TED" contest only.
· For more information, send an e-mail to email@example.com.